Hey everyone, I know it’s been a while… I wanted to share my thoughts on life after living 24 years of it! Can you believe it? It seems like yesterday I was riding my bike in my white jumper and red socks! I must’ve learnt something since then, right? So here’s the list:
1. Doing what pleases me: if can not harm anyone, and would make you feel good, what excuse can we have for not doing what we like? Fear?
“What would you do if you weren’t afraid?”
2. To stop trying to prove myself – even if it is for me: I think that one has been my biggest weakness, I am always trying to challenge myself into reaching stupid patterns, especially when it comes to career. Nobody is perfect, and nobody is the same. Convincing me that I have to reach some level to be accepted by my family (and society) was the stupidest thing I have ever done.
3. I must learn what I love: No matter how unrelated is to your current reality, try to learn that new language that fascinates you, or that lovely dance style, to sing, to paint, to draw, to derive an equation(if you like math), or even the Relativity Theory (great book, btw). The point is: whatever you wish you knew, you can learn, and for sure it will enrich your life.
4. Forgiveness is a must: When it comes to people in our lives, at some point they are going to screw up(ourselves included). So, if you can’t forgive, your life with them is going to be hell, or you’ll have to say goodbye to those relationships. Besides, forgiving will give you more comfort than will give them, trust me on this.
5. Less is so much more: When you realize how much stuff you have, and hw it ends up consuming your time, and your sanity, you realize there is no point spending money or time in things that really don’t belong in your life. I’m far from being called a minimalist, but I’m on the journey, and, maybe someday…
6. You can’t do everything alone.
7. It’s okay to change your mind: I’ve done it like five times today.
8. My health is my greatest asset: and not just the physical side, being mentally healthy is so important. The last couple of years I watched my grandmother going through dementia, and it was the saddest thing. Trying to be as healthy as possible.
9. Thinking positive and praying for something work: Look, I am not a religious person, but throughout my life I have moments when doing this works so much. Do I believe that God or whatever higher being exists? I have no idea because I have no proof.
10. As long as you are in peace with your conscience, nobody’s opinion really matters: That’s gotta be the most difficult to live by. But it’s so true. Worrying about what other people think is the worst thing.
“Don’t let people live inside your head without paying rent!”
11. We can’t let challenges keep us from loving: Love is not easy, but there’s nothing better. And you are going to face challenges with everyone you love, but never stop loving because is hard. It’s hard to love humanity, I know, but we must keep on trying.
12. Don’t ever compare: while you are trying “keeping up with the Joneses”, you are not keeping up with yourself, your goals, your values and your feelings.
13. Every single person is special.
14. Discovering what you want professionally is really, really hard: I still couldn’t do it!
15. The best way to love someone is spending time with them.
16. Share your thoughts and opinions – people can’t read your mind!
17. Warm colors are not for me.
18. Being physically tired is the best recipe for a good night of sleep.
19. You can’t go anywhere without a purpose.
“If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time.”
20. Teaching is the best way to learn something.
21.Being skinny won’t make you love yourself more: You can’t help have some doubt on this one, especially in my case (I lost 30 pounds, two years ago). But it is true. I still have days when I’m find myself thinking “I’m fat”. But throughout my heath journey (not weight loss), I started to feed my body with less junk, and my self-respect improved. It did because I was doing this for myself.
22.If you do nothing about it, your circunstances will define you.
23. Life is short. Don’t let memories be short as well: Tell people you love them, every time, always say goodbye with a hug, talk with them, and be sure to remember every second, so you can smile when remember how much time you spend together, and not cry with regret for being all that time on social media while being in the same room with them.
24. Keeping your motivation up is key: Find somethings (a song, a book, a podcast, a radio show, a tv show, a blog ) and read it/listen to it /watch it EVERY SINGLE DAY, as long as it keeps you fired up.